The mechanics were still working this morning to repair the car. But we ran out of time, the start control closed at 9:05.
Sadly, we are now out of race.
– Engine won’t turn. Piston rods big end ceased, overheated brakes etc. Cause of death: hole in oil line. –
Garry and me are sobbing and having the “post mortem” talk. He is devastated, this was his go for a dakar finish, and we know that we could have made it when it was up to our ability and race strategy. “The turtle” failed us as victim of the “fesh-fesh death”.
My first withdrawal ever.
Garry and me slept only 2 hours but were ready to take off on stage 5 at 7:30. But the time was too short to make all repairs, it’s not allowed to change the whole engine like on bikes.
Below: Dakar rules 32P Engine change
We also had a coffee session with #320 Chicherit’s codriver Brucy – their car went up in flames completely.
So we’re better off, we still have a buggy (yet in pieces).😉
VIDEOs by Marie Hessel (images are screenshots).
1) Annie tells about the terrible stage 4 at 3:20 in the morning, after 20 hrs riding in the car (swedish)
* Also on TheDakar.blogspot.se/2014/01/dakar-2014-annie-seel-efter-fjarde.html
2) Annie in the morning about failing to start stage 5 (swedish): “nobody gives up the dakar dream…”
* Also on TheDakar.blogspot.se/2014/01/dakar-2014-annie-seel-and-her-thoughts.html
Bye bye “Turtle buggy”! #366 crossed out. And we are as cross as two sticks.